Saturday 2 January 2016

Goodbye Japan

Hello again,
So I haven't written in a while, and I think that's mostly because my last few days spent in Japan were just relaxation and playing with the kids. There was no super exciting day out, I just enjoyed the presence of who I've come to see as my second family. They've been so hospitable to me and treated me like their own child: giving me house keys and making lunch and dinner for me. I'm eternally grateful for absolutely everything they do for me and it makes me so thankful to have such a good bond with someone so far from my own home.
Apart from that, I thought it might be a nice idea to go through my highlights of Japan (in no particular order). 
-Roppongi Hills Tokyo Observers Deck. Rooftop views of the whole of Tokyo. It's chilly, but its a much better experience than being encased in glass. That and they play some cute romantic music which is a nice touch. 
-Disneyland or Disney Sea. People say Disney Sea is the adult version of Disneyland but either way one of these theme parks is a must. Disney Sea has sea salt icecream (KH fans you feel me) and Duffy which is a novelty bear the Japanese have adopted into their culture. Super cute and worth a visit if you've done Disneyland before. 
-Asakusa. Tourist central but I go there to buy gifts for all my friends and family. There are a variety of stores that sell anything from sake sets to katanas. 
-Shibuya/Harajuku. The two shopping giants of Tokyo and my personal favourites. Harajuku is as quirky as its reputation precedes and is all the more fabulous for it. Shibuya is home to the famous Shibuya crossing and if you sit in the Starbucks across from the station you can see everyone pass under you like ants. 
-Ginza. It's basically the rich part of Tokyo. Looking for LV? Chanel? Prada? You can find all that in the same strip of stores. There's also an 8floor Uniqlo store which is worth a visit. 
-Parks. Okay I know that title is so obscure but I really want to recommend a park in Hamamatsucho but I don't know the exact name of it. It's small and quite traditional. There are even carp in the water. Alternatively, you can go to Shinjuku gyoen which is much bigger and popular with tourists. 

Bit of a live update:
I'm writing this post as I take the train to Naples, Italy. Getting this far was a slight nightmare but hey, I got on the right train so that's gotta count for something. I hate to say it but seeing Julian is going to be a relief. I can't say having someone who speaks English isn't something I miss. Actually, any language I can speak is something I miss. I am as far out of my comfort zone as possible. I can't even count in Italian so when I asked a guy where my train was, I couldn't even understand the platform number. I basically just had to follow where he was pointing and pray. I guess that's why I've always felt at home in Japan. It's a country where I can communicate with others and have a conversation. But hey, what's this life for if not adventure? I might as well throw myself in the deep end. Nothing exciting came from sitting in my room studying biology for the hundredth time, trust me.





No comments:

Post a Comment